'74-5 Imp & 76-8 NYB Window Motor Removal.

'74-5 Imp & 76-8 NYB Window Motor Removal.

  Here is a posting I sent to the NYB Club
recently.....ChryslerNewYorkerBrougham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,after my power window
project.  Maybe it will be of help to some people,or copy it for the future.

  Drivers-Side Window Motor Removal:

  This is for the drivers-side front door on 4dr '74-5 Imps and '76-8 NYB's
with vent-windows. Other Chrysler models,newer or older, might be similar.
  I referred to the '75 Factory Body Service Manual and passed on my own
personal experience on this one.
  First you must remove the door-panel lower and upper 1/2,as well as the
cardboard or plastic liner behind it. The upper panel 1/2 comes off
first....then the lower. The inside door handle which is held on by 2 small
7/16 headed bolts. I'll give info on door panel removal at another time if
need be.
   Ok,lets get started.
  Remember: All bolts (7/16 headed) face you when you have the door-panel
off. None are inside the door.
1) Window must be lowered so that 3-5 inches of the window is visible.
2) Remove the metal Lift Channel/Guide from the bottom of the glass. 2-large
Phillips-headed screws w/plastic retainers secure it to the glass thru holes
in the bottom of the glass. You'll try to loosen the screws..but they will
most likely just spin. Don't worry. Reach around behind the glass and hold
onto the retainer. Now try it.  :o)  Rest the glass on the rubber bumper in
the bottom of the door.
3) Slide the Lift Channel off of the lift-arm roller. Then remove the Lift
Channel from the lower access-hole in the door.
4) Remove the Lift-Motor,Counterbalance Spring and Lift Mechanism AS ONE
UNIT. It is held in w/4 bolts and 1 nut. To do this:
   a) Remove the 2 bolts and 1 nut that are in a triangular pattern at the
lower front of the door...facing you. Note: Do NOT remove the bolt with
large washer near the frontmost lower part of the door,facing you. That bolt
is for the vent window assembly.
   c) Remove the 2 bolts in center of door,facing you..forward of the inside
door handle. Support the assembly with your hand as you remove these last 2
bolts.
   d) Slide roller out of Pivot-Guide Channel. This Channel bolts to the
inside of the door and is about 6 inches long. There is no need to unbolt
it,just slide the roller out of it.
   e) Raise glass by hand(of course)and secure it in it's full UP position.
(I held the glass with one hand..and "fished" the motor and mechanism out of
the bottom door-hole with the other hand. The reason for raising the glass
is to NOT break it when fishing out the mechanism...and to give you more
room to get the mechanism out.(The FSM said nothing about that.)
   f) Unplug the motor. There is a little plastic tab that you'll have to
bend upwards with a small screwdriver or fingernail.

Voilla! You now have the lift mechanism and elect-motor out as a unit.
  To remove the motor from the lift mechanism, the lift mechanism must be
secured in a vice so that nothing can pivot and fly around when you unbolt
the motor. The motor is held onto the lift mechinism by 3 small bolts. If
you unbolt the motor with it just laying on your workbench,I believe you are
gonna have a helluva time bolting the motor back on where it stopped when
you had the window down with only 4 inches exposed. I believe the
counterbalance spring on the lift mechanism is powerful enough to remove
fingers too.  There is BOLD FACED TYPE in the FSM warning this! It is best
to carefully *pinch* the mechanism(not the motor)in a vice....or possibly
use a strong pair of Vice-Grips.

  With motor in hand:
There is a small philips-head screw holding the cover-plate/dust-cover in
place. Removing it will allow access to the worm-gear/gear assembly. My
motor was making a popping noise and only jiggling the window. The culprit
was the plastic gear.

To assemble: *Warning*: Harder than getting it apart...at least that is what
I think.
1) Insert Lift Mechanism in door thru lower opening.
2) Slide Pivot-Roller in 6in long Pivot-Channel.
3) Support the Lift Mechanism against the inside of the door with one hand
and secure to inside of door with the 4 bolts and 1 nut. (5 attachment
points. The nut does NOT go onto the back of one of the bolts) Plug in the
Motor.
4) Slide the Lift Channel onto the Lift Channel roller. Note: There are only
those 2 rollers on the lift mechanism. One is the Pivot Channel roller...the
other is the Lift Channel roller. One points IN(PC),one points OUT(LC).
5) If you did everything right,when you hand-lower the window to the
position when you first unbolted it from the Lift Channel(3 to 5 inches),the
lift channel will bolt right up. Secure with those 2 Phillips screws and
those stupid plastic retainers. You'll have to hold the back of them.
6) Plug in the motor. <--don't forget that one!

If you are having trouble,this is what the FSM sez on Installation:
Quote:
1) Engage Lift Channel assembly to Regulator Lift-arm slider. (Oh,and that
is supposed to stay together while fishing it thru the bottom of the
door??!)
2) Insert Regulator (I call it Lift Mechanism) and Lift Channel into door
through large opening near bottor of inside panel. (Yeah,ok.)
3)  Engage Pivot-arm slider in Pivot-guide channel.
4)  Attach Regulator to inside panel.
5)  Attach Lift Channel to glass.
6)  No Adjustment is required. Torque threaded fasteners to specified
torque. (With the ink it took to tell us "specified torque",they could have
WRITTEN what the mystery-torque's ARE!) Torque-Schmork.

  I hope this stuff applies to all who read it. It sure applied to my '75
Imp 4dr with vent-windows. The non-vent installation is probably close to
the same. Your results may vary. Possibly someone else can do the job and
find a better way.

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr <--now with a working drivers-side front window.  :o)
'79 440 powered 35 ft RV