re 81 fuel flow meter / mpg readout

Has anyone had a backyard conversion with working mpg readout, or
do you need the conversion dash cluster to have the fuel flow meter work?
I am surprised there isn't a reliable substitute.  My FWD mopars all had
this feature & I never had any problems.  They are all EFI, but I don't know
why that should matter much.