57/58/59 underhood padding

I am pretty sure this was an item which was included on all Imperials, since I remember my parents cars back in 1959 all having this padding. My Dad had a '59 Cadillac, and my Mom a '59 Pontiac, and they both had the padding, and if Pontiac had it, then Imperial certainly had it, and I am also sure it was to protect the paint more than abate noise. The padding was removed from my '59 at some point, but now that I am trying to bring that original paint back to shine, my biggest challenge, and the worst paint damage on the car is on the hood. I have managed to get water to bead up on it again, which says something about the great paint jobs on our old Imperials! Bill '59 Crown