Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: IML: The term "hardtop"

In a message dated 3/5/02 9:00:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, gimpineer@xxxxxxxx writes:

Being just older than dirt, I was around when "Hardtops" were introduced.
D^2 is correct.  This was a new concept, at last for the major car
makers.
Previously only convertibles had an unobstructed window opening from
front to rear.
If I remember correctly, Willys Aero had the first one in 1952.

You're absolutely correct,  as I am also getting to be one of those "old guys over there."  I was in my teens in the 50's and saw all those great new cars.  Actually the first "hardtop convertible" was the 2 door 1949 Buick Riviera, and was so named because it looked like a convertible but with a steel top, and no post between the front & rear, and the drivers door window was just like the convertible with the chrome around the glass.  And as previously mentioned, in 1955 GM introduced the "4 door hardtop," which again eliminated the post between the front & rear door area.  Probably some of the rarest Chrysler products found today are the "50's" 4 door hardtops, and my 57 Imperial Southampton is certainly one of them.
                                                                   Bill B.