The term "convertible hardtop" (was The Chrysler Corp name game?)

The term "convertible hardtop" (was The Chrysler Corp name game?)

Hi Hugh & gang,

> Of the 16,133 Imperials that year there were
> only 1,000 or so LeBarons, split equally into
> coupes and sedans.

If I remember correctly, the LeBaron's were all 4-door hardtops.

> PS Why is it called a hardtop anyway?

Good question! From what I have learned, (and to make matters worse) the term
"hardtop" is short for "convertible hardtop". This was supposed to be the
"middle-ground" between a sedan style top and a fully convertible top. When you
roll all the windows down, you get the increased visibility (less
posts/pillars) and a more "open-air" feel without sacrificing the comfort and
safety benefits of having steel over your head.

Think of it this way - if you could transform your Imperial's soft convertible
top into steel, you would have yourself a "convertible-hardtop". (more
popularly referred to as a "hardtop") If your Imperial hardtop could then
magically grow window frames that were part of the door (not part of the glass)
and grow a post from the floor to the roof between the front and back doors (on
4-door models) you would have yourself an Imperial sedan.

The early '60s Chebbys actually had fake convertible style spars stamped into
the steel roof near the rear window - just to make them look more like a "real"
convertible!

Imperial Regards to All,

Jay Mc Kee
1962 Crown Southampton four-door "convertible-hardtop"