Re: Re: IML: Crown vs.Southhampton

Sorry, that's incorrect.  Southampton was the designation for Imperial
hardtops, either 2- or 4-door.  In 1959, for example, you could get an Imperial
Custom (or Crown or LeBaron) 4-door Southampton; an Imperial Custom (or Crown)
2-door Southamton; an Imperial Custom (or Crown or LeBaron) 4-door sedan; and
an Imperial Crown Convertible.  I think that in 1962, all were Southamptons
(hardtops); there were no post sedans. And, of course, the convertible.  The
designation "Southampton" was dropped after 1963.

Scott, if you have a hardtop, you have a Southampton.  I think there's a little
rectangular badge somewhere that says "Crown", so if you don't have that you
probably have a Custom since the LeBaron does have a "LeBaron" nameplate.

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown 4-door Southampton
1972 Buick Riviera (which, in the '50s, was Buick's name for hardtops)
1983 Chrysler Cordoba (would be a hardtop had the back windows been designed to
go down)

> If yours is a hardtop it is a crown or custom or
LeBaron.  South Hamptons were post cars, that is,
there are frames around the windows and a post from
floor to roof between the doors.  I THINK all South
Hamptons were 4 doors.

Kerryp