Rear axle problem?

That bell ring clunk is a classic symptom of a bad u-joint, check all of them
and replace any with detectable play.
As for the latency of the wheels turning when the pinion is turned as opposed
to the pinion turning immediately when the wheels are turned, you have to
bear in mind that there is a gear ratio at work. Most 60's IMPs have roughly
a 3 to 1 ratio in the rear axle. That means that for every one turn of the
pinion the wheels only turn one-third of a turn! And for every one turn of
the wheels, the pinion turns three times. My point here is that it is a lot
easier to detect the pinion turning by turning the wheels than the other way
around, especially since the wheels and tires are ten times the diameter of
the pinion flange! The only real way to detect slack is to have one hand on a
tire while your other is on the pinion.

Roy
67 Crown FDHT

In a message dated 3/2/2002 7:27:10 AM Pacific Standard Time,