fender skirts, again

Greetings, all:
There has been talk lately about 'fender skirts' on the Imperial line of
cars.  My two cents worth is hereby presented.
The pre-WWII era had some in the 1930's and 40's, but I'm not going there.
I'd prefer to stay post-WWII.  The 1946-1950 models are shown in many
pictures; but there are none shown with skirts.  Yet, I'm sure, someone with
a parts manual will come forward to say that skirts were optional on one
series or another.  The 1951-52 models almost had to have them mounted on
the car - whether an option or not.  Why?  Look at them: the extreme open
length of the fender / wheel well virtually required the skirts in place to
even 'look right!'  The 1953-54 models may have had skirts, but none are
shown in the advertising.   When one gets to 1955-56, with the large opening
for the wheel well, there is no design value for skirts.  Yet, surely,
someone made something for the few owners that wanted such; but, probably
not in the parts manual.  Again, by design, it was practically 'of no
redeeming social value' to add skirts to the models from 1957 through 1966.
Yet, some where, some hot-rod youngster who had acquired an Imperial, sought
out someone who would design and fabricate a 'custom' skirt for these
models.  [I would pick something like the skirts for the 57/58 Mercury
Turnpike Cruiser, or the long flared type that started a foot or so before
the wheel well and went all the way to the bumper.]  It is a different story
when we come to 1967-68: the design theme required skirts to complete the
straight, low lines presented.   The 1969-73 models were sold 'with or
without' skirts; we have all seen them that way.  What we do with them
(on/off) is personal choice; yet a few look better with the skirts on!  A
very different story for 1974-75 and the 76-78 NYB's: a practical necessity
- to preserve the design lines.
But, skirts on a 1964-66 model?  Again, personal choice; but, for me:
NO.....  Can it be done?  Yes, if you have the time, money and a willing
fabricator, but, again, why?  There are just times when the original design
can not be optimally improved upon.  There, you now have the thoughts (of an
old fart) from the school of automotive design of the 1950's.  Shoot holes
in it!  Later,  ne