331 Hemis With Extended Bell housing

Hiya - dead right, all those extended bellhousings were used up to '53 until
the advent of the powerflyte. Interestingly enough, they appear to
correspond with the small valve 331's too.
The early Chrysler Industrials (Yep they even had "INDUSTRIAL" on the tappet
covers) had this extended bellhousing as well - although they were hooked up
to Skilifts and combine harvesters and suchlike
Biggest let down with the old fluid drive is that they are very slow
shifting - the engine revs have to die down to provide the synchro between
gears and in a hemi with a heavy crank etc this can be annoyingly slow
As far as I can make out the fluid drive for most of the flathead era had
just a fluid coupling, whilst those for the hemis had an actual torque
converter which should make quite a difference...
As far as perfomance goes, I read something pretty cool, and that was a
letter (In a '51 Car & Driver) to the editor by a guy who had a Jaguar
XK120, and he was asking why his friend who had a '51 Saratoga with a 331"
hemi thrashed him to 60 mph