leaky sparks

Hi Kenyon & fellow IMLers,

I am having similar problems with the passenger side wires on our '62.  The #8
plug wire is getting cooked by the heat coming off the manifold (passenger
side, nearest the firewall) The stock "stand-off" wire holder for the #6 & #8
wires doesn't allow for enough air-space between the wires and the exhaust
manifold. The #8 wire cooks to a point where the wire arcs to the manifold. I'm
running the Mopar Performance electronic ignition, and the spark was jumping
nearly 3/4 of an inch!

When I installed a new #8 wire, I made a heat shield/insulator for the it using
a 6" piece of rubber fuel line. Slit lengthwise, you can slip the wire into the
fuel line and slide the fuel line down to where it will offer the most
protection.

This appeared to work for a while, but the new wire started to leak as well.
This time I was desperate to find a way to route the wire farther away from the
manifold and the heat. The trouble is there isn't anything nearby to attach the
wire to to get it away from the manifold...

..except for the A/T dipstick tube!

This would work, but I was concerned that strapping the wire to the dipstick
tube would eventually cause the wire to arc to the tube. My final mounting
configuration is this:

 1) #8 plug wire encased in 6" length of fuel-line
 2) The "casing" is mounted to the tranny dipstick using a piece of insulated
solid-core wire. (imagine an industrial-strength twist-tie)
 3) Wedged between the fuel line "casing" and the dipstick tube is a 2" length
of popsicle stick (this to give an extra measure of insulation/distance to
prevent future arching to the dipstick tube)

Maybe I went a little overboard on this solution, but it's worked great so far.

Imperial regards to all,

Jay Mc Kee
1962 Crown Southampton four-door