Another one bites the dust?

Went with my Father last week to look ata 73 LeBaron 4 dr in Modesto. It was
a nice original car, although a bit worn. It had 60K miles on the clock. The
Black leather interior had the seems coming unsewen, but the body was
perfectly straight, with minor rust under the back window. Here's the rub.
The tags were out of date by about 2 years, and it was parked on the street.
It started right up and ran well, but Father didn't want to pay the $1000
they wanted for it, so we passed. Today, Dad got a phone call from the owner.
The car had been towed to a local pick and pull. When they went to retrieve
it, they found that the yard had discharged the AC, punched holes in every
tank and pan, and in general just ruined the car. Is anyone familiar with CA
law? I have been out of state for the last 20 years, serving in the AF. Thank
you.

                                                           David C. Wilker
Jr. USAF (RET)