58: Seat mounted safety belts.

This is a tricky bit of dynamic engineering you're proposing (if you
want it to function as a safety device, not just an rules
workaround).  A belt can only carry load in tension, like a rope.  If
it is attached at the seat bottom and routed up and over the seat
back, and then to your forwardly-thrown body, the seatback must
resist bending off at the mounts along with you!  The modern seats
that do this are both rigid in that mode and also attached to a VERY
stiff crossmember mount (so the floor doesn't fold up, too).  I doubt
if the older seats or mounts would provide sufficient stiffness to
make such a belt routing useful.  Still, the biggest element in
making a restraint system work well is to manage (not prevent) the
rates of acceleration our watery bods experience during the rapid
stop of a crash.  Modern cars (thin unibodies and all) are actually
designed to collapse in a controlled manner, dissipating much of the
crash energy into the metal of the car and reducing the suddenness of
coming to a halt (as measured at the seat, not the bumper!).  Older
cars, especially rigid ones like our Imperials, have very stiff
structures that suffer much less damage in an impact, but therefore
leave their drivers with lots more relative speed when they hit the
wheel, dash, or seatbelt.   Who knows, maybe the yielding of the
seatback could help make up for the missing structural collapse and
slow the face-dash collision.  But I wouldn't count on it.

j 'drives 'em anyway' c