engine and engine bay refurbishing

In a message dated 1/31/02 2:41:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tahoe8798@xxxxxxx writes:

<<      I am planning my late spring "sprucing-up" of my 66 Crown convertible.
 I would like to detail the engine and engine bay area. To include: cleaning,
 painting, and new hoses and wiring. In order to do this properly and restore
 the area to a like new condition, would pulling the engine be required?  >>

You can do a tremendous amout without taking out the engine.  I usually
remove everything off the top of the engine including carb, wiring, hoses,
alt, compressor, all brackets and valve covers (if they will need bead
blasting or are a different color), then clean and wire brush everything
before painting, using newspaper, tin foil, plastic bags, etc to cover things
you do not want to paint.  The fan and radiator should also be removed to
give more room to work and to be painted out of the car.  I have done several
details like this and it does a very nice job as long as the extra care is
taken to avoid overspray while working in the close quarters of the engine
compartment.  Fenderwells can also be done in the same manner if you can find
the matching color in a spray, or you can get some paint mixed at the auto
paint store, purchase the reducer, and use the sprayer/bottle available at
places like home depot.

Good luck,
John -- 78 NYB