engine and engine bay refurbishing

Fellow Club Members,
     I am planning my late spring "sprucing-up" of my 66 Crown convertible.
I would like to detail the engine and engine bay area. To include: cleaning, painting, and new hoses and wiring. In order to do this properly and restore the area to a like new condition, would pulling the engine be required? If so , are we talking a monumental task? And finally, if the engine is pulled, would this be an ideal time to rebuild the engine? The engine has approx. 88,000 miles on it. Your suggestions will be appreciated.