power locks/ interior lights/head lights

power locks/ interior lights/head lights

Sounds like Kevin's '71 Imperial actually has a couple
of different problems . . . I'll try to tackle them in
order below:

--- kevin pacheco <kevin50187@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> fine.  Then afer a while they would only work
> occasionally.  And the weird
> thing about that is that they word together.  The
> lockes would only work if
> the lights were working,  Like in the morning i
> would start up the car and
> open the door and the interior lighs would come on,
> and the lockes would
> work fine.  then after i get to my destonation, i
> open the door, and the
> lights dont work allong with the lockes.  Any
> suggestions?

Sounds like the wiring from the main harness to the
driver's door is breaking.  When you open the driver's
door, you'll notice a large "cable" that goes from the
body into the door.  This cable carries several
individual wires for all the power window switches,
door locks, door light, and so on.  Over the years,
the wires break from all the constant back-and-forth
movement.  You'll need to cut open the cable and start
soldering the wires back together.  I'd suggest you do
it soon, too, because the next problem will be that
your power windows quit working!

Also be sure to clean the light switch in the door
jamb (the switch that turns off the interior lights
when you close the door).  You'll need to remove it to
make sure that the three wiring connections are clean
and tight.

> Also the head light nob, when pulled to turn the
> side marker lights on and
> the tail lights on would work, but when I pull it
> all the way out, the head
> lights wouldnt work,  But if i turn on the auto
> dimmer, they turn on.

Most likely, there's a problem in the headlight switch
itself.  It's possible that the wires that connect to
the switch are loose, which you should definitely
check (if they are loose, they will heat up and cause
all sorts of problems).  However, this sounds like a
problem in the switch.  You have two options -- pull
the switch out and clean the heck out of it (douse the
innards with contact cleaner), or find a good used or
NOS switch.  I'd start with #1, 'cause either way
you're going to have to pull the switch.

If you don't already have the '71 shop manuals, start
scoping eBay ASAP, because you will need a set.

Best luck!

Elijah
1965 Imperial LeBaron
(3) 1971 Imperial LeBarons