Poor gas mpg

Most all Crater use the same type and but different sizes, what I've done over the years is buy junk looking ones at a swap meet for a couple of dollars just to get the rods but have used them or given them out. I could mention how to adjust your's or check them , but was informed that I cant use another make of car to explain or compare with. As I did last time mentioning the word corvette Op sorry. Chrysler only.
-------Original Message-------

Date: Thursday, January 24, 2002 06:25:38 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Poor gas mpg

Roy, you don't happen to know where you find other metering rods
to try do you?

Tristan

I thought to mention beside the rear end gears, to  think about
what your CARTER AFB metering rods size is! Owners that are
second or third owners of their car need to wonder if the carb
ever was rebuilt and if so were the right metering rods
reinstalled in THAT carb. You need to understand that two brass
metering rods  are lifted out of the fuel jet HOLES as you step
on the gas and has to be correct for performance. The jet holes
that the metering rods go through are stander size for that
carb, but the rod thickness depend on engine size and HP. Think
of it this way , if the jet hole is always the same size .A
thinner rod increases fuel flow 1. ( to much -fouling plugs,dark
smoke car can feel like it lugging and can Diesel do to carbon
build up) .To thick a rod ( plugs run hot, engine runing
hotter,no power, pinging, stuttering) I found my 57 doing the
second. like the three bears you need to try different ones to
get it just RIGHT.Early Corvettes have Carter's and the same
condition to deal with.
roy 57