fuel mileage...

Greetings,

    Hear much talk about fuel mileage in last few days.  For so many of the Imperials in the 1960s, all had a rear axle ratio of 2.94:1   Primarily, for better fuel mileage on the open road. These cars all weighed 5000# - 5300 #.  Remember, some 40 years ago, there were quite a few turnpikes but not too many interstates yet.  So, most driving was on improved 4-lane or better 2-lane roads -- with other traffic!  With all the speeding up and slowing down and fast-passing, mileage suffered.  Unless, of course, no traffic times or weather conditions.

    My wife and I drove our 1964 Crown Coupe from Ohio to New Jersey last July for the WPC Show Meet.  Traveled on the interstate system a vast majority of the time/distance.  On the interstate, the fuel mileage was 16-18 miles per gallon -- and that is corrected for miles (highway vs odometer error).  Yes, in town or around 'car shows,' it is low teens.  It has never - yet - been below 11 mpg!  For the entire 1260 'corrected' mile trip, the fuel useage came out to 16.5 mph.  The Crown is equipped with factory (single) air conditioning, AutoPilot, single exhaust, a 2.94 axle, with - as they all were - the rather decent 413 cid engine / Carter 4 bbl and 727 push-button, and standard ignition system.  Usual cruise speed was about 60 (+/- 2).  Also, this was on 89 octane gas, along with my fuel mix (6 ounces ATF + 6 ounces kerosene / 20 gallons).  Starts, runs, drives, handles, stops excellently.  And, "Baby" has 106,971 miles as of today -- just went out for gas and air in the tires.
    Thanks for allowing my 2 cents worth.  What are other 413s getting??? Thank you,  ne