62 imperial saga - Driveshaft removal

Hi Allen & crew,

I have taken the driveshaft out of our '62 about 4 times now. It's real easy to do. Remove the four nuts that hold the forward driveshaft flange to the back of the parking brake drum. Loosen/remove the two bolts that hold the center carrier mount to the frame, then remove four of the bolts on the forward side of the rear U-joint.  The whole driveshaft is now loose and you can slide it toward the rear of the car to remove it as a whole unit.

Before you remove the driveshaft, you might want to key everything (scratch marks) from the parking brake drum back to the rear U-joint so you can put it all back together they way it came apart. The entire driveshaft is balanced as a unit and the phasing of the U-joints 90 degrees from each other is critical to avoid vibrations. Also take note of the number and position of the shims to the center mount.

If there is any lateral slop in the center mount, it should be rebuilt. (About $90 at The Damper Doc in Redding CA.)

I too have a vibration problem that I am trying to solve. I haven't repaired/replaced the U-joints yet, but I understand that they are cheap and relatively easy to lube and install, just remember the phasing of them relative to each other (see above)

I don't think you will do any harm by running the Imperial with the vibration unless it is severe. The only things that may take abuse are the center mount and possibly the U-joints. If I am wrong, I hope that some that knows better will speak up and correct me!

Best of luck.

Imperial Regards,

Jay Mc Kee
'62 Crown Four-Door Southampton
http://klia.net/jay/

I have a question, has anyone ever don a
driveshaft on their 62 or similer with center hanger and 3 joints and how
hard is it to remove and repair? Can I do it on the side of the road so
to speak with minimal tools or do I have to get robbed to flatbet the car
home ($300.00 + is what they seem to want) . Any help would be greatly
appreciated as I wioll not chance driving it this way and possibly
screwing up something else.
  Thanks
   Allan R.