'62 Crown Power Antenna Question

Hi Bob, Max & gang,

Every original '62 Imperial ad that I have shows the car with the antenna in
the retracted position. The position is identical in every ad, about 4" of the
mast remains above the fender. The appenage is still visible even though it may
not be in use (i.e. it's "relaxed" state) =8^)

What truly astonishes me is the extended length of the antenna. I'm 6'1" tall
and when that '62 Imperial AM antenna is fully extended, I can barely reach the
tip of the antenna with my index finger, and only when I stand on tip-toed.
(that's about 9' above the ground!)

I'm fearful that one of the sections would snap or the entire antenna would at
least bend severely if it were fully extended and run through the air at 90 mph.

Be especially careful if your flying old glory!

Imperial Regards to all,

Jay Mc Kee
1962 Crown Southampton 4-door (no "antenna-envy")