'62 Crown Power Antenna Question

fellow imperialists,

i have a quick question about the power antenna on a '62 crown.  were they
built to fully retract into the "bulb" of the unit, or were they built so an
inch or so of each section remained showing even after the unit was fully
retracted?  as you might guess, my power antenna goes down all the way, but
it leaves a little of each section showing when fully retracted rather than
disappearing into the "bulb" or chrome base of the antenna unit.

if mine is not working right, i'm up for suggestions.  i assume that the
mast kits for these units are tough to find.

thanks for your thoughts.

max

1962 crown southampton four door