From: "Burton Bouwkamp" <northburt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 5:35 PM
Subject: IML: Torsion Bar Front Suspension

I was a motor and chassis engineer at Chrysler from 1951 to 1962. We
(Chrysler) had a problem in northern climates with broken torsion bars on
1957 models after one to two years of service. It was caused by corrosion of
the surface of the torsion bar from dirt/salt/moisture accumulating around
the bar at the socket cavities (either end). In 1957 we had not adequately
sealed the bar ends from exposure and accumulation of this corrosive mud.
The problem was the most serious in communities that used salt for snow and
ice removal. (We sealed these cavities in 1958, 1959, etc.)  Until the seals
were available we told our service people to pack these cavities with
grease.

The corrosive action of the mud attacked the highest stressed part of the
bar - the outside surface - causing stress risers which lead to fracture of
the bar. A mystery to many of us was why almost all failures happened while
the car was parked overnight - and not while the car was in motion. (It must
have had something to do with the ambient temperature change overnight.)

Burt Bouwkamp