IML: Great Race Report 11-kinda- Imperial Expeditionary Force (61)

IML: Great Race Report 11-kinda- Imperial Expeditionary Force (61)

Title: Great Race Report 11-kinda- Imperial Expeditionary Force (61)

NOTE: FOR full story and pix mentioned here, please see:  http://www.dte.net/project61/No%20Excuses.htm

5 July, Stage 11:
Page, AZ to Tonopah, NV:

A LOONG desert haul (nearly 500 miles).  Fortunately, not too hot.  A very brief note tonight, though, as we drew an early start in the AM (and besides, I left my day notes in the car, so I’ll add to this tomorrow night.

The car was, as usual, 100% reliable and powerful.  It pulled long grades (five passes today, ranging from about 6500 feet to over 9900 feet, with dry lake pans in between).  We even had to blend in some 87 octane with the remainder of our hi-test when we calculated we wouldn’t make it all the way – that refill came at a cash-only, one-pump shack along the Extraterrrestrial Highway that shoots by the infamous Area 51.  We managed a 1-second score on the first leg of the day (3+ hours long), but got caught at a train crossing and mis-entered the time delay there, leaving us with a 54 second leg and a 1:19 for the day.  No improvement in standings.  Rats.  I’ll add more to this tomorrow.  G’night! jc

Enjoy!
jc