IML: Bob's Big Boy and Imperial Airflow

Hi all -

I don't live within walking distance of Bob's Big Boy (Burbank/Toluca Lake) anymore, but it's just 2 miles from my "new" place near the Los Angeles Equestrian Center. We braved the heat last Friday and we rewarded when Aaron Kahlenberg gave up his primo window parking spot to let a 1936 Chrysler Imperial Airflow pull in. A great surprise!

I talked to the owner, Chandler Smith. A former North Hollywood resident, he now live in Fort Worth and drove the car to the recent Airflow meet in Colorado, then to Burbank - over 2000 miles and 200 gallons of gas! Just over 11 mpg, he said. He was leaving for the return trip on Saturday, July 1.

He bought the car about 3 years ago, restored by the former owner. It's in great condition and he said he drove beautifully, cruising at 70 mpg. Just one spot of strange running, perhaps bad gas. I'll send some photos to the webmasters.

So next time you hesitate to take your old Imperial out for a trip (like me), think of Chandler's Excellent Imperial Adventure!

Bob