Dan Richardson

From: David Whitney <hazegreen66@xxxxxxxxx>
I have the Edelbrock AFB clone on my "lesser" Mopar with electric choke.  One lead comes from a field terminal on the alternator, the other attaches to a screw on the outside of the distributor body.  I do not know if this is "factory", but it came to me that way and works great.  Contact me off list if this is not making sense and I'll give you more details.

I'm willing to bet you have an aftermarket intake manifold as well with no provision for a divorced choke, which would explain the electric one.  If not, you should block the hole in the intake with a plate.

You should not need a spring to force secondary opening.  If you look at the linkage on the passenger side you'll see one plate from the primary bore pressing on a plate that opens the secondary bore.  You can not test this with a cold engine due to the lockout preventing secondary opening when the choke flap is closed.  That lockout is on the driver side, so you have to open the flap and pull on the lockout to allow the primaries to force the secondaries open.  Could require three or more hands.

The Edelbrock web site has downloadable rebuild instructions with excellent diagrams describing carb adjstments that apply to Carters as well.  These instructions are better than the Carter book, which is indispensable in its own right for understanding why carbs work.

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man