Re: IML: Budd Rotors - Durabrake Stay the course

Re: IML: Budd Rotors - Durabrake Stay the course

I have been following these proceedings with some
interest, as the owner of a 1967 Imperial myself.
However, I consider myself a neutral third party for
two reasons.  First, I don't have any financial stake
as to whether or not this deal goes through or not.
And second, I have already found an engineering
solution to the problem of non-existent rotors which
is satisfactory to me.

The idea of having parts reproduced for our cars is a
great one.  However, I think it was approached all
wrong.  Someone now has to grapple with trying to get
a whole bunch of people on board, get their payments
in, etc.  The way this should have been handled is
someone should have seen the opportunity, and ordered
whatever quantity was necessary to get a batch run
done.  50 rotors, or whatever.  They would have
outlaid the initial $10,000, or whatever, and then
resold them to people as they were interested.  This
takes risk.  I undertook a similar risk when I had
cornering lenses recast for the '67 Imperials.  But I
didn't have to deal with coordinating orders with the
supplier and getting orders lined up before pulling
the trigger.  This also isolated the manufacturer from
these headaches (something manufacturers are grateful
for, they prefer just to manufacture).

As I said, I have found a way around the Budd rotor
inavailability that for me makes good sense, and costs
around 1/2 what getting these rotors made costs.  If
someone were against a hard place with rotors like I
was with cornering lenses, they should have made the
cash outlay and comissioned a run made of the rotors,
which they would have then acted as dealer on.

I wish you all the best of luck with these rotors, and
I do hope that we do see repro's made of them to keep
our dear cars on the road.  I just think that forming
a collective was not necessarily the best way to get
this done.

--Mike Pittinaro

"Forsake Inhibitions.
Pursue thy Dreams."