Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: IML: The color of the exhaust manifold 1959

Exhause manifolds were not painted, at least, not on purpose. After an engine is assembled, it is spray painted the correct color for its specific application and there is usually overspray around where the manifold is mounted and paint gets burned off somewhat and turns color from the engine heat. The entire manifold is NOT painted, only around the exhaust ports where it is bolted to the heads.
   Another item that gets overspray after engine assembly, is the ground battery cable. It depends on how it hangs off the engine during spray painting. It usually depends on the painter as to how much is painted. there was no rule of thumb as to how far up the cable from where it was bolted to the engine. Joe Machado