Re: IML: Chrysler Pentastar

Your memory serves you right, except for "Of course, it also reflected the 5
automotive divisions of Chrysler."   The whole idea of adopting the
pentastar was to expand the public's knowledge of Chrysler beyond the
rubber-wheeled divisions.   Besides, Chrysler has NEVER had 5 automotive
divisions.  When the pentastar was approved in late 1962, there were but two
automotive divisons- Chrysler-Plymouth and Dodge.

The DeSoto division disappeared in 1959 when it was merged with the Plymouth
Division.  Then the Plymouth-DeSoto Divsion was merged with the
Chrysler-Imperial Division to form the Chrysler-Plymouth Division after the
DeSoto was dropped.

Like it or not, but the Imperial Division existed only on paper - it was the
brainchild of the marketing department.  Which is part of the reason
Chrysler was never able to completely separate the Imperial from the
Chrysler.  If you check the list of divisions and corporate excecutives of
the Chrysler Corporation over the years, you will not find any mention of an
Imperial Division.  All designing, engineeering and marketing of the
Imperial automobile fell under the Chrysler Division (1955-1959),
Chrysler-Imperial Division (1959-1960) and Chrysler-Plymouth Division
(1960-1975).    You will find Imperial Division only on advertising items,
etc.

One other important aspect of the pentastar is that it looks correct even if
it is looked at upside down or on the reverse.  Which makes it perfect for
rotating signs, etc.   In the 1960's Chrysler's pentastar became as well
known and noticed as Howard Johnson's roof.

Bill
Vancouver, BC