IML: 1963 Imperials Available in Oregon / It Began at RhodyFest

IML: 1963 Imperials Available in Oregon / It Began at RhodyFest

Yesterday, I had the rare opportunity of looking at two 1963 Imperials parked in a barn and untouched for the last 20 years. The story of this event began last May while at the famed Rhododendron Festival in Florence, Oregon, hosted by our very own Leslie of 1967 Imperial fame.

Whiile standing in front of our lineup of Imperials at the Rhody-Fest car show, a somewhat more senior woman to me stepped over and mentioned that she had two 1963 Imperials, and that she was surprized to see our bevy of beauties at this car show. She explained that her husband passed away a few years back, and now she needs to part with these two cars I gave her my number and we met yesterday to have a look at the cars.

And there they were. One always hopes for the best with these barn-stored finds, and usually they end being well worn cars needing a lot of work, which these turned out to be. The cars hadn't been touched in years, including being covered in dirt from sitting so long. For those who might be interested in these cars, I've described them below. I took plenty of pictures, if anyone is interested I can send pictures and relay interest to owner. The cars are located about 10 miles north of Eugene, Oregon. The owner would like them out of the barn soon, and she sounded like most any offer would be welcomed. Anyone interested? Contact me off list at gearhead@xxxxxxxxxxx

Eric
Portland, Oregon

For those interested, the owner would like to sell them as a pair. I might have some interest in one or the other, or in some parts, if this helps to move them out.

Both cars are Ivory, code S paint (pastel yellow / cream) http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1963/PaintChips.htm
with their respective gold/brown cloth interiors, the checkweave instead of the nylon material in the Crown. While not completely rust free, the dry storage has kept both bodies better than average in terms of corrosion.

The 'parts car' is a '63 Crown 4dr w/ headlamp dimmer, power locks, a/c w/tinted glass, radio, and trunk release. It's missing the rear backlight glass, carpet, rear seat, and some trim. Engine was in car and looked complete. Good dashpad, poor front seat, door panels have water damage and missing the carpet strips. With the missing items replaced, this car may be worth saving for the right person, and in ways is the better of the two.

The other is a 1963 Custom 4dr, options are the brightwork trim package, radio, tinted glass, and RH side view mirror. On this car, the license expired in 1981. It shows the typical wear of a well used 18 year old Imperial, as it would have been when it was parked. The body is a little rough, with the left 1/4 panel being the worst of it. The panel looked like it could be pulled and puddied pretty easily.
Body- Dented front fenders at the front bumper ends, RF fender scrape, wrinkled left 1/4 panel, minimal rust, good glass.
Drivetrain- Motor rotates by hand, engine compartment looked complete except for vacuum hoses, radiator (non a/c) was clean and looked like a recent replacement 20 some yrs ago when car was parked, transmission would only engage in Neutral with other buttons pushing in but not engaging, starter would not crank when battery installed and didn't put a load on the electrical system as with maybe a faulty neutral safety switch, flat tires
Interior- Small crack in steering wheel, fair dashpad, good headliner, nice rear seat, poor front seat, fair door panels, a window that I tried worked as well as the seat, dash lighting inop, radio didn't play, antenna didn't operate, some evidence of mice enjoying Imperial's glove box cardboard.