Re: IML: New Yorkers & such

The Chrysler (and Dodge St.Regis) of 1979 used the R body, not a stretched M
body.   The R body was a reworked B body on a 118.5 wheelbase and used the B
body's longitudinal torsion bars, and not the F/M/J/Y bodies' transverse
bars.   It came in two series, Newport (TH) and New Yorker (TP), with the
Newport at 220.2" and the New Yorker at 221.5" in length.  Width was 77.6"
Not quite the size of the 1978 C body Chryslers, but larger than the M body
LeBaron with the 4-door sedan on a 113" wheelbase, 205.2" length and 74.2":
width.  The Newport could be had with a slant six.

The 1979 Fifth Avenue Edition Package (A79 on the data tag) came in a
two-tone champagne colour scheme (upper - Designers Cream, lower - Designers
Beige) with a matching inner ring on the whitewall tires.   The side and
hood were adorned with Beige and Cashmere accent stripes while the bumper
had colour-keyed bumper guards and trim strips.   The vinyl roof, leather
and vinyl seats, instrument panel, door panels and carpet were
colour-coordinated to the exterior. As well, the Fifth Avenue had 'gills' on
the sides of the front fenders.

For 1980 the Fifth Avenue Edition package could be had in a black walnut
metallic (A67).  . This time all the above items, including the colour
stripe on the tires, was colour keyed to the black walnut paint with the
accent stripes a gold colour.

In 1981 the Fifth Avenue Edition came in a variety of two tone combinations
and the whitewalls lost the colour-keyed strip.  . No more unique colours.

For 1982 the Newport disappeared and the New Yorker was now based on the M
body (FS), basically the 1981 LeBaron with a new grille and with taillights
based on the Diplomat / Caravelle style.  The car also gained a more formal
roofline with the addition of a roof extension and a smaller rear window.
Which is why the 1982 New Yorker had a vinyl covering over the rear section
of the roof and over the quarter windows on the rear door - to cover the
joints bewteen the roof and the extensions.

The 1982 New Yorker Fifth Avenue Edition (A79 data tag code) had hood tape
stripes, 'gills' on the front fender sides, and leather and vinyl seats in
the loose-pillow style.   The New Yorker had the slant six as standard while
the Fifth Avenue Edition came with the 318.

For 1983 the New Yorker used the new E body - a K car with a 3" longer rear
door and a less severe tail end.  The Newport reappeared as the E Class
while the New Yorker used a roof extension to give it a more formal roof
line and smaller rear window.  The M body New Yorker Fifth Avenue Edition
continued with little change, with a new grille frame and loose-pillow cloth
seats were made standard as was the slant six engine.  Loose-pillow leather
seats were now optional.

For 1984, the "New Yorker" nameplate on the trunk lid is replaced by "Fifth
Avenue", there is a new rear lower trim panel applique and the slant six
engine is gone. There were changes under the skin - new front suspension
crossmember, new cowl side panels, new rear side rails, rear crossmember,
rear floor pan, and floor pan extensions

One interesting note about the 1984 Chrysler M body is the mention of a
Newport series, model FH.  It is listed in Chrysler's VIN decoders and in
Chrysler Canada'a June 1983 fleet brochure,  introducing the 1984 models,
there is a note next to the Fifth Avenue illustration announcing, "The
Future Is Getting Better with the distinctive styling of the new Chrysler
Newport (December 1983 introduction)."    A parts listing I have has the
Newport with a different grille insert than the Fifth Avenue.  A Chrysler
Canada corporate brochure of January 1984 makes no mention of the Newport.
.

>From 1985 to 1989 changes are minimal - new bumper face bars - rear in 1986
and front & rear in 1987, new belt moulding in 1986, new dash & cowl top
panel in 1985, and revised wire spoke wheel covers in 1985 and 1987.  And
the Newport is listed through 1989, as well.  Need to find out more about
thus elusive M body Newport.  And, contrary to what some believe, the roof
lines of the M body models were the same from 1981 through to the end  in
1989.

In Canada, the 1989 Fifth Avenue was included with all the other Chrysler
models in the brochures, but the Caravelle Salon and Diplomat Salon (Canada
never got the Diplomat SE) were rarely mentioned.

Although the Fifth Avenue may not have been in the league of the Imperial,
especially the M body models, IMHO they were worthy successors to the New
Yorker Brougham series.

Bill
Vancouver, BC