RE: IML: More Power from EFI 318 or Big Block Swap ?

RE: IML: More Power from EFI 318 or Big Block Swap ?

The 81-83 cars were designed to be serene, comfortable high speed (but not
over 85!) cruisers.  They were not designed for anyone who would be
interested in acceleration or quarter mile drags.  They have a 2.22 rear
axle ratio, for one thing, and an A904 transmission.  They are VERY heavy
(look at your door sticker- you'll be shocked to see they weigh 4400 pounds
empty, and 5500# fully loaded, if I recall correctly).

So, for your tastes, I'm afraid you have the wrong car.  Yes, if you
stripped all the sound deadening and fancy features out of the car, found
substitute body parts from a Mirada or Cordoba (thinner sheet metal and
glass), you could probably make it move better, and yes, there have been a
few folks that have shoe-horned a big block into one of these, but that
still results in an overweight, slow car - and it will not take that torque
in the 8 1/4 rear end.

If you want to hot-rod the car, I think you'd be better off finding a
clapped out Mirada or Cordoba, and have your way with it.  Offer this low
mileage, pristine example on eBay (you won't get much for it, I've sold 3 of
them on eBay and even a VERY nice 58,000 mile CA car with a mint dark blue
leather interior only brought $2500) but it stands a chance of winding up
with someone who will appreciate the car.

Dick Benjamin