Re: IML: slight over flow from Radiator 66 Imperial

My 66 started to do this and it was the radiator that neede redoing , havinghad it done it is now fine , NOmore overflowing.
David Munson

From: Ron M <rfm10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: slight over flow from Radiator  66 Imperial
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:37:49 -0600

Are you filling the radiator each time after this happens??

The old cars are not an overflow system like new cars so they need a
small amount of space in the radiator for expansion.?? If you fill it
up it will "burp" out a little to make that room.?

Assuming that you are not refilling, the first thing I would look at is
the radiator cap.? I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but
I believe the correct cap is a 14 to 16 lb cap.? As caps age they tend
to lose holding ability and yours may just be up for replacement.?

The next place I would look is a faulty thermostat.? If it is not
openning at the correct temp it allows the engine to run warmer.? When
you shut down there are more BTUs of heat stored in the block, etc.??
This raises the coolant temperature and corresponding pressure which
can lead to a small amount of overflow.? You would probably notice your
car running a little hotter though.? You can check a thermostat by
removing it and use a candy thermometer and a pot of water on the
stove.? Heat it up and watch when it opens.? It should be close to the
temperature stamped on it.

Best of luck,

Ron

mad4cars@xxxxxxx wrote:

?Guys my 66 Imp after driving a while and parking there is a smell of steam and then a little over flow.. hasnt overheated or Pinged but this is a few times its done this .. any suggestions? ?