RE: IML: '71 power windows=Spring danger?

Does this go for 80's Imperials too? I have read about the spring issue in the archives, but I've pulled my window motors numerous times (1983) and never had an issue. Didn't see any mention of the spring in the FSM. I've never had a car earlier than 1982 with power windows though. I assume there was some kind of design change. The only cars I've seen where the FSM suggests drilling are those that have rivets instead of screws holding the motor in place (k-based mopars-in my case Daytonas, but 90's Imperials are probably similar)

Rob

From: "Dick Benjamin" <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: IML: '71 power windows
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 08:22:47 -0700

I don't have a 71 FSM, but if your 68 manual gives the procedure, I'd think
you could use it for general guidance.

Folks have been injured trying to disassemble the motor from the regulator
assembly inside the door - I recall reports of broken fingers and other
serious injury. The lift assist spring is VERY STRONG, and will uncoil with
a nasty snap, when the motor is removed from the regulator where you cannot
see what's happening, or grab something to prevent this. When it does this,
something will possibly get thrown against the outer door skin, causing a
new dent too.

The main points are that the regulator has to be disconnected from the glass
(then the glass should be removed from the door or blocked up at the top of
the door where it won't fall down).

Next,  unbolt the 4 7/16 bolts that hold the regulator to the inner door
panel, and the two 7/16 bolts that hold the slide channel for the lower arm
of the regulator "X".

Then unplug the wire and pull the whole regulator/motor assembly from the
door out the largest opening in the inner door panel.  You'll have to twist
and turn, and try different angles, but it WILL COME OUT!.

Now, clamp the whole assembly in a vise in such a way that the regulator arm
cannot move - if the motor still works, run the arm all the way to the
"window up" position first, that will reduce the tension on the coiled
spring to the minimum.

Now, after eating your Wheaties, take a very strong pair of "Vise-grip"
pliers or "Channelocks", unhook the outer end of the spring, making note of
the direction in which it is coiled for re-assembly.

NOW, and only now, is it safe to unbolt the 3 3/8" screws that hold the
motor to the regulator.

Dick Benjamin (who has done this many, many times, on many many cars in the
last 50 years, and haven't broken a finger yet!)

I also haven't had to drill any holes!

_____