Re: IML: Fuselage Era cars - 69-71 as only Fuselages a tough sell

Re: IML: Fuselage Era cars - 69-71 as only Fuselages a tough sell

>From: "Bill Watson" <wwatson5@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Re: IML:
>
>All 1969-73 Imperials shared windshields (2-door & 4-door hardtops share
the
>same glass) while the 4-door hardtops used the same rooflne and side
>windows.  They also shared the same rocker panels and doors sills.   The
>changes in 1972 amounted to a reskinning - the basic understructure
remained
>the same from 1969 through 1973.

<snip>

   I agree entirely. My car is (I think) the only '69 Crown on the list, and
the '72-'73 Imperials look darn similar, IMO.
   I think the biggest reason to call all the '69 - '73 cars 'fuselage
Imperials' is that to anyone other than an Imperial expert, they look
exactly the same. The same cannot be said across any of the existing eras
(except maybe the very early cars - I know some people to whom all classic
era cars look alike) - heck, there's a lot more visual difference between a
'60 and a '61 than there is between any years of the fuselage cars.

>I am a great fan of Engel's fuselage C bodies.and, in particular, the
>Imperials.  The saddest part about them is how unappreciated and
undervalued
>they are today.  And sadly, the same situation existed when they were new.
>(Well, maybe undervalued is not so bad if you want to buy one . . .)

   I don't know about being undervalued when they were new - '69 was one of
Imperial's best sales years, and they weren't inexpensive cars. Today, well,
you can get a good deal. I don't know if that's bad though, $50,000 old cars
sure don't get driven much and I think that a car really needs to be driven
to be 'alive'. I certainly appreciate my '69, it might not be my favorite of
the Imperials I've owned, but it's definately more favorite than any
non-Imperial I've had.

      -Kle.
     '69 Crown 4DHT