IML: Differences between a 57 and the 58

IML: Differences between a 57 and the 58

Some one just posted that the fin height was different on the 57 & 58. This is wrong. The height and shape were identical for 57, 58 and 59. Also, the number of headlights is not a reliable way to tell the difference. Some 57s had single headlights but most had quads. Looking at the rear is also unreliable. Some 58s had the same ribbed panel inset into the rear bumper but some were sooth.

The differences are way more subtle than that.

The main way to tell the difference is with the grille and bumper. The bumper on the 57 is a "biplane" style. The one on the 58 is one continuous curve. I'll let the pictures do the talking with regards to the differences between the grilles.

Here is a link to an IML picture of a 57

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1957/BWBrochure/page01-reg.jpg

Here is a link to an IML picture of a 58

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1958/Brochure/Page04.jpg

From the side the is a difference above the front wheels. The side spears
coming from the headlights are shorter on the 57. On the interior, the main way to tell is the indicator switch. On a 57 it was almost like a toggle switch with an up and down operation. In 58 it was changed to a switch that moved left and right with a button to turn them off.

Mechanically, the carburetor was changed in 1958 to an all aluminum AFB unit. The compression on the engine was raised a little. According to Tom McCahill's review, rear air conditioning was introduced in 1958. Cruise control, or "AutoPilot," was also introduced as an option.

In essence, the cars are very similar. This happened again and again. You have to focus in on the details. It happens to me with the 55 and the 56 and again in 67 and 68. I can spot the differences but have to check on IML to tell which style refers to which year. The web site is the best place to go to check these things.

Hugh