IML: '61 Disc brake conversion. First hand account

IML: '61 Disc brake conversion. First hand account

This week I fitted an AAJ disc brake conversion to my '61 LeBaron.

After all the speculation and discussion, I thought you guys might want to hear a first hand account from someone who has actually been there and done that.

I did the job in two stages. The first stage was to install a dual M/C and a proportioning valve.
This was a very straight forward job. The only complications were the need to shorten the brake push rod to accomodate the shallower piston cup and, in my case, to find U.S. brake couplings which are shorter than European ones. Fortunately the local US parts supplier had plenty. Once I had bled the system I took the car for a test drive. I wanted to make sure everything was behaving properly before I went on to stage two, fitting the discs. The new M/C did improve the feel of the pedal but did little to make the car stop better. No surprises there then.

The next day I started on the discs. This is really very easy. The kit is simple to fit and I had both sides done by lunchtime. More bleeding followed with my wife pumping the pedal for me. (This is the one job on the car that she is totally familiar with). Then, out on the road to test the new brakes and adjust the proportioning valve. One final problem. when I came to put the wheel covers back, I discovered that the new studs are too long and the cover would not fit. I had to circumcise the studs with an angle grinder before I could put the covers back.

I have to say I am very happy with the results. No more shuddering stops, no more dead areas on the pedal stroke. The whole feel of the braking system is more sensitive and responsive. I know that I had hot spots on the drums which caused the shuddering but apart from that the old brakes never felt as good as this. Most importantly of all, it has shortened my braking distances considerably. It means I can drive the car with a lot more confidence than before. When I ordered the kit I wondered whether I was wasting my money. I certainly don't think so now.

To be objective and in case any other club members are planning to go down this route, here are the negative sides to the conversion. First, although I can lock the wheels before it happens, I can push the pedal right to the floor when the booster is working. It does not affect the braking but it feels wrong. I am also getting a little bit of binding, particularly on the left side. I hope this will wear off as the pads bed down. Finally, the studs are a bit thinner than the originals. I guess they are all right but I have to say, I am tempted to ask my local engineering firm whether they could replace the studs with the Imperial originals.

I know there will always be some people for whom originality is the priority and I respect their views but for someone like myself who uses their Imperial on a regular basis, often in heavy and difficult traffic conditions, this has made a huge improvement. For what it's worth, I have all the original equipment and a new owner could put the car back to the way it was without any sign of interference.

For any that are interested, I have pictures of the different stages of the conversion.

Best wishes

Tony V.