Re: IML: Dual Headlights? Crown v. Custom v. LeBaron?

Re: IML: Dual Headlights? Crown v. Custom v. LeBaron?

Hey Ken, welcome!

We'd love to hear a bit more about where your Imperial
experiences have taken you and what your interests
are.

To at least partially answer your question of why some
1957's had singles and some had dual headlights:

Prior to 1957, all cars had single headlights.

http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1957/57Distinction/index.htm
http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1957/57Brochure2/Page11-reg.jpg

In 1957, a majority of states allowed the conversion
to duals with legislation that allowed the change, BUT
some southern states had not gotten the legislation
through their systems yet, and hence duals were
techniccally not legal for sale there.

Therefore, Detroit was obliged to ship cars with
single HL equipment to allow them to be sold in
certain states.

An even better trivia question would be:  Which states
caused this situation? (I don't know).

Also, why did the industry convert from singles to
duals?  Something to do with the SAE and lighting
efficiency, I should suppose?

----

Differences between Crown and LeBaron?

The Imperial was generally available as a:

1. Custom
2. Crown
3. LeBaron

They dropped the name of the Custom at some point but
there was generally a good-better-best pecking order.

Customs were stipper cars that had most extra-cost
things deleted.  There are cars running around with
manual windows and no AC and so forth, which generally
are the base models.  Most dealers would not order
something like this for stock on their lot, so those
cars are the mark of someone that wanted the image but
was VERY cost conscious - to the point of waiting for
a car to be built to their specification to save money
in many cases.

Crowns were the standard Imperial, and had many
amenities and probably sold the best overall.

LeBarons were top of the line/price range with most
ALL accessories included.  There were a few options
here and there, but for the most part, you got a steak
with all the trimmings and nothing left off.  The
LeBaron, as you likely know, was differentiated by the
smaller rear backlight (window).

This would apply to 1957-75 for the most part.
Earlier and later cars had their own marketing
arrangements, such as the red-heads of the 1920's and
so forth.

-Kenyon