From: Dick Benjamin [mailto:dickb@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:55 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: clicking noise and torsion bars

The most likely cause for the clicking is a failing start relay.  This is the little box with 5 or 6 wires going to it which controls the power to the starter solenoid.   It is probably mounted on the left inner fender, just above and behind the battery.  Next time it does this on you, take a screw driver and short between the two brown wires.  If that makes the starter crank, you've found your problem.  These are easily replacable and available at any auto parts store - just ask for a Mopar starter relay, and if they don't have books all the way back to 1966, ask for one for a later year - Mopar used these for many years.  The different years have different mounting provisions, so just pick one that looks right and has the right terminals on it.  NAPA has a buyer's guide with pictures that makes it easy to identify the one you need.

The torsion bars are easily adjustable, there is an adjustment bolt sticking out downward in front of each side's front suspension - jack the car up by the frame to take the weight off the suspension, and tighten the bolt, one turn at a time until you've correct the height to make the car level.  There is a measurement in your Factory Service Manual (you do have one, right?) that tells you where and how to make this adjustment, but you can probably come close just by eyeball.

Dick Benjamin