RE: IML: matching numbers

I'm not familiar with the older iron, but I believe that true "numbers matching" didn't start until around 1970. That's when mopar started stamping the vin or a partial vin on the engine, trans and other items. I think with the older cars you are down to checking date codes to make sure that the engine could have been the original. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Rob

From: captden30@xxxxxxx
Subject: IML: matching numbers
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:07:56 -0400

this question is about the 54 windsor convertible i just purchased and i would also like to check my 53 imperial for matching numbers. i have heard this term many times and i basically know what it means., however, i do not know where i should look for these numbers, how many to look for, and which numbers should match. i do know the engine number is on the block on the windsor but i do not know where it is on the hemi. are matching numbers an exact match or are they codes that need to be interpreted? is there a club site that can help with this? dennis 1953 imperial, 1954 windsor conv.