IML: Reviewing a car thats far away

Recently I was looking for a 1960 Linc convert (please,even my Imperials need friends outside their neighborhood) Anyway, I knew nothing about this car but that it was solid and garaged. I looked all through Hemmings to pay someone to see it for me. I called around and most wanted $300 for a deep investigation of the car. Mind you it wasn't running so how could you really check all the mechanics?? I asked a few if they could do a more focused job that actually meant looking into less of the car ..but more on the body,interior ,and undercarriage.. yes> but they wanted the same money. I then called a fellow on the West Coast  who runs ads every month..man that was an odd call.. I got questioned ,grilled ,rushed to the garden gate, I felt like I was talking to someone in a boiler room. Asked if I was serious,why did I want that car, where was it, etc.. I couldn't get him off the phone.I will never call him again for anything.
 None of all that worked for me.  I paid a member of this club to go with a camera take certain shots of the car and send me the camera .. When he did I was very happy I didn't send the $300( or 500 in the Ca guys prices), the car might have been solid> but my version of restorable and the owners were very far off. In two minutes or less you can tell if a car is for you.. Why write a Novel about the car if you're not interested? Why waste time and money??