RE: IML: Le Baron trivia question?

No offense, but the name of the game is sales. By 1977 when the LeBaron came out, I doubt there were many people left who remembered Le Baron Coachworks. I'm willling to bet that the LeBaron handily outsold all Imperials with any link to the Le Baron or LeBaron name. In fact, I'll bet the nameplate outsold all Imperials as well. Any dilution of the "prestige" name might be unfortunate, but by 1977 if Chrysler didn't sell as many cars as possible there would be no future to trade on that prestige. It may be better to burn out than to fade away, but not if that paycheck is feeding your family.

From: "anthony bianchini" <abianchini@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: IML: Le Baron trivia question?
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:46:22 -0500

Definitely backwards-that's why Chrysler Corporation almost bit the
dust. By attaching the "LeBaron" nameplate to cheaper cars Chrysler was
attempting to add prestige to low rung cars in an effort to boost sales.
I have seen these cars still riding around and often think of the
irreversible damage and dilution they have inflicted on the name
"LeBaron" just by mere association. Most people that see my 1966 LeBaron
think probably of the 90s LeBaron convertibles. They have no idea that
it was the best American luxury car money could buy in 1966. This all
feeds back into poor marketing and how Chrysler muddled the Imperial
nameplate itself which explains why so many people remember Chrysler
Imperial and not just Imperial.