Re: IML: 65 Crown....Click-click

How loud is it?

If the clicking really is coming from under the valve cover, there are several things in there that can cause it. Is the sound accompanied by a miss, or does the engine run smooth? Knowing this would narrow things down a bit.

Valve or valve spring problems, worn rocker arms or springs or shaft, worn/dry/damaged push rods, and plugged oil passages can all result in a noise of this type. It isn't very hard to remove the valve cover to see what is going on. A compression test could help with this diagnosis as well.

Other noises could sound like they are coming from under the valve cover, such as a noisy lifter, or an exhaust noise (yes that can sound like a click-click), or a blown head gasket.

I once had a valve keeper fall apart, causing a click click, accompanied by a miss, and other problems as well. Without more information, it is hard to say what it is. There is nothing unique to your Imperial that a good auto mechanic wouldn't be able to figure out. If you haven't any ideas, you really need to take it to someone who works on engines.

Paul W.