Re: Not all 727s? (was Re: IML: 61 Transmission Build Date)

Re: Not all 727s? (was Re: IML: 61 Transmission Build Date)

The aluminum case A-727 arrived for the 1962 model year and was used on all
V8-engine vehicles, except for 273 and 318 LA engines.  The A-727 was the
heavy-duty automatic for the slant six, 273 and LA 318 engines, though.

The A-904, also with an aluminum case, was smaller than the A-727 and was
introduced in 1960 for the slant six.   As for V8 engines, the A-904 was
mated only to the LA V8 engines (although not the 340 or 4-bbl 360).

The 1961 Imperial used the A-466 cast-iron case Torqueflite.  That
transmission was used only on V8 engines from its introduction in 1956
through to the end in 1961.   If you owned a six-cylinder Mopar product
before 1960 and wanted an automatic transmission the only unit you could buy
was the 2-speed Powerflite, which was in production from late 1953 through
1961..

Bill
Vancouver, BC