IML: Mystery short in a 65 Imp..

Hi group!
    My 65 Crown has started acting strange, and I want to see if anyone has pointers or past experiences similar to mine.  The car was running really great, thought I would drive it to work for the fun of it, went to start it and it turned over a few times, engine caught, went dead, then nothing at all... turn the key, complete silence, nothing..... I had to hit the road, so drove regular truck instead.....
    Went home that evening, cleaned the posts on the battery, tightend cables, checked battery for charge, stood on my head and checked the fuses, etc.  Everything looks fine, battery full charge..  Got into the car, hit the brake and the dome lights came on.. key on to start, map light on, key off map light off, door lights on... step on brake with key out map light on full, door light dim... no accessories, nothing at all.... no headlights no tail lights.. windows still worked..
    I should mention that the day before the problem, the car wouldn't fire, starter and all fine... just didn't have time to play with it, went home that evening, car started first try... it was raining all night before that, so I thought that in the AM maybe moisture had collected someplace....
    Thank-you all in advance for any suggestions!  I have a great auto elect. shop here in town, but it is always more fun to fix the problem myself!!
    *** One more thing***  The person I bought the car from casually mentioned that sometimes when he was driving it would stall out and go dead, he pointed out that by hitting the trunk release switch a few times seemed to "reset" the car and "fix the short"????  I tried his fix with no luck!
    Great site, great cars, great people!!