IML: off idle stumble with Holley

I had much the same trouble with the Holley on a freshly rebuilt 440 in my '72 T&C.  It also would surge at a steady throttle, as though it were running a bit lean.  My carb rebuilder opened the carb and checked the step-up rods and found them to be larger than spec.  That would cause the car to run lean and may have been changed out during a 70's fuel crisis in hopes of better mileage.  He replaced them with 2 step (as opposed to the correct 3 step) rods that had part of the correct spec.  That change had made the car run much better, though still a slight stumble and a bit less surge at part throttle.  If I could find the correct original spec rods, I'd change them out and would hopefully have the carb performing as intended.  Otherwise the car runs very strong, as befitting a 440.
Cheers,
Roger