chrycordoba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:11 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: gold anodizing (?) on '59 door sill plate inserts

One of the many tasks that my restorer has assigned to me is to get all
the Aquitania's stainless and aluminum trim polished.  Two of the pieces
are the front door sill plate inserts, which appear to be gold anodized.
They are about 2" wide by 16" long, have a raised crown and "Imperial"
in script lettering on a recessed black painted background.  The
passenger side is in okay shape (but not worthy of the restoration); the
driver's side really needs polishing and painting.

The plating company said he couldn't do the anodizing, but could
brass-plate them or do them in 14-carat gold.  The examples of other
stuff (non-automotive) he'd done didn't come close to the correct color.
I don't know anything about gold anodizing.  These pieces are very
light, so I guess they're aluminum.  The raised crown and "Imperial" are
dull and scratched, but the entire piece seems to be this gold-ish
color, i.e. when I scratch the back side, no regular aluminum color
shows.  Is this some special aluminum alloy that is a gold color through
and through, which could be polished like the larger silvery aluminum
sill plates and come out nice and shiny, though in gold?  Then my
restorer could mask the crown and the lettering and paint the rest
black.  Has anyone else had this done, and what are my options?

Thanks in advance for the group's thoughts.

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown 4-door Southampton "Aquitania"
1966 Imperial Crown 4-door "Miss Dorothy"
et al.