Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 5:25 PM
To: Imperial Mailing List
Subject: IML: Insulated Columns

I've noticed that on my 1974 and 1990 Imperials, as well as some of my
lesser cars, that the steering column is insulated from the body of the
car
with plastic insulators at all the mounts.  I've run into a problem on
two
cars where the horn didn't work and both were caused by a column that
wasn't
grounded.  On my 1990, there is a little tab on one of the fasteners
that
hold the column in that electrically connects the column to the body
ground
of the car.  Does anyone know why the columns are insulated like this?
The
insulators don't seem to be the type that would insulate the column from
mechanical vibration, they look like an electrical insulator.  Thanks.

Please quote this message in your reply.  Otherwise I will be unable to
reply to your message.  Thanks.