Re: IML: Odd oil question

Hello, Anthony & List
I can relate to this as the first '55 Imperial that I got ( several years ago) was in sad shape and the engine went thru oil and smoked very bad. Since I felt that it was shot, I added used oil from my Hemi race car, it was 50 wt. racing oil, and used to boot. I was surprised when the oil pressure registered normal the smoking stopped. So, I changed to new 50 wt racing oil and drove the car for long enough to need a new oil change. As I remember it was down possibly half to only one quart. Since racing oil is a little pricy, I now use 20 w 50 oil and it uses about one quart between approxmately 5000 mile changes. Since I drive the car little, I can easly live with that, and it is still the engine that I first thought was junk!
So, I too would like someone with better grey matter than me... to explain this.
PS ... the old first oil was 10 w 30 Valvoline, according to the old oil change stickers.

George ...'with the soon to be beautiful '55 Limo'...
alacaria@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hey Guys;

My son's girlfriend has a 1995 dodge caravan with 180,000 miles. It burns oil and has to have oil added as it burns it. My son would change it every 3000 miles and add 10w30 Valvoline or other name brand. Well the last time he changed it I told him to use the Advance brand oil because it was cheaper. Well he changed it with the Advance brand 10w 30. Now he tells me it smokes very little and they add oil once in a while. Basically it uses 3/4 less oil.

Can anyone explain this to me or have any ideas why?

Anthony