Re: IML: 62 Cross ram imperial information

Re: IML: 62 Cross ram imperial information

Cross ram is the term used for the dual carb on a max wedge or hemi with 2 4 barrel carbs. The intake manifold is between the valve covers and is similar in appearence to a box. The long ram, or ram induction manifold is different and is not a cross ram. There are two versions. Both are 30 inches center to center, (too confusing for now to explain), and has a tube per cylinder. The second version is the same length, but 18 inches were cut out of the center wall in reference to piston then heading back toward  carb and it raised the power curv up the rpm scale a few hundred rpm.
   I was at a Chrysler-Imperial dealer in 1962 and remember a new Imperial with Ram Induction. What I never ever found out was it dealer or factory installed. I have never seen one again. There should be removable plates in the fenderwells for the manifolds at the carb areas and they have several screws so you can access them thru the wheel well. My son has a true 60 Ram Induction Polara D500 conv. Joe Machado