Re: IML: Stupid question about lug nuts

On Dec 29, 2004, at 3:13 AM, Wldavis101@xxxxxxx wrote:

I am trying to take the rear driver's side tire off of my 66 Lebaron and the
heads of the lugs are marked "L". Does this mean that the lugs are loosened
to the left? I assumed so, but lots of pressure doesnt seem to take them off.
Sorry to be a dolt!

Chrysler Corporation cars had opposite-threaded lugnuts on each side of the car for one reason: To prevent them from loosening and throwing themselves off of the car in normal, forward motion. It was a great idea, in theory. It confused too many ignorant mechanics with high-pressure airhammers, though.

Chrysler also pioneered doorlocks that DIDN'T self-release during roll-over accidents, glass that didn't break into dagger-like shards, and tires that didn't fly off of the rim when they were punctured at high speed.