IML: Imperial related items funny pages

It seems a rich seam of Imperial related items is available and I hope some caring soul does indeed add them to a page on the site. The Imperial Sugar Company once ran the Imperial Valley Railway Company but it became part of the Sugar Land Railway around 1925 and was removed in the 1970s so picture opportunities there will be slim to say the least. Rats.

A look in my city's yellow pages yielded some humorous opportunities. The Imperial Ballroom seems fun, and there is a used jewelry store with a prominent sign featuring a diamond in one of the city's less affluent shopping centers. I shall go out of my way to find the Imperial Transport Company as well. However, I had completely forgotten about a great picture I made, a composite of two images, which places my car in front of the somewhat dilapidated offices of the Imperial Tank Company. Back when I had a web site of my own, it was the first image on the site. Though my own site has died, I am delighted that the image is on the Imperial Club site. Check it out at:

http://www.imperialclub.org/Yr/1958/HughHemphill/16Hughs.jpg

One of my goals, a New Year's resolution I make and break annually, is to visit, with Mrs. Blueberry, my 1958 Imperial, the small town of Imperial, Texas, way, way out there in west Texas. Near to Fort Stockton, 330 miles northwest of San Antonio, Imperial is a small town of some 500 inhabitants. It is near the Imperial reservoir. Over ten years ago I visited the town of Hemphill, Texas, near the Louisiana border, and it was a hoot. I took pictures of everything with Hemphill in the name, such as the high school, the power station, the radio station and, my favourite, Hemphill VFD. I have a feeling that Imperial, Texas, not being a county seat or anything, will not have anywhere near as many amenities. The only thing I know is that there is a public library. Before I go, I will try to find out if they have a local newspaper. But, even so, I still want, very badly, to go. I estimate some six hours of travel to get there. Optimistic at best in my old car, which lacks working A/C, though fitted with front and rear equipment. With its soonish to be reinstalled rebuilt engine and transmission, my prospects for fulfilling this dream improve dramatically.

There must be some rather good photo opportunities for Californians near to the Imperial Valley. I have a feeling this projected new page could be a whole bunch of fun.

Hugh